Dept of European Studies
The Hague University of Applied Sciences
At The Hague University of Applied Sciences European Studies (ES) is a broad, multi-disciplinary programme that provides its students with a general, international and multi-faceted outlook to the world. It turns students into professionals by providing them with the knowledge and skills they need in order to be able to operate successfully in the global community dealing with the emerging issues of the 21st century world. European Studies aims to help its students develop their knowledge of Europe from both a public and private perspective and apply this in an interdisciplinary programme that develops research and critical thinking skills, professional communication skills, foreign languages and intercultural awareness in an international context.
Graduates are competent professionals who are qualified to start careers in a wide range of jobs that have international and intercultural aspects and that relate to the public and private sectors. Europe is the focal point of the curriculum. Whilst the programme does not cater for European exclusively, it uses Europe and its issues as the case study for the modules. Various examples from national and international contexts are provided in order to prepare graduates for the national and international labour market.
European Studies at the Hague University of Applied Sciences differs in its approach from more traditional European Studies programmes at research universities due to its:
- focus on both the public and private sectors and their inter-relationship;
- practical and vocational application of theory;
- broad international focus - not just EU, multi and interdisciplinary;
- integrated approach to internationalisation that covers all on campus activities;
- modern foreign language programme;
- choices for specialisation within the programme for students;
- real life experience for students in exchange, workplacement and projects;
- intercultural communication skills;
- location in The Hague, with many international organisations and businesses that offer ample opportunities for work placements and guest speakers.
All Group Members of UACES